Music, science, art, technology and history… maybe something original too
Not so current developments in typography
09 April 2020
Given the feeling of time suspended brought on by COVID-19 shelter-in-place orders (and suspension of normal life in general
Make America Porcine Again
02 April 2019
The title links to an evergreen post via the University of Michigan Map Library blog. I keep returning to it, eight years after my first glimpse…
Beauty of the Sea
20 Feb 2011
This is a spectacular Roman mosaic, now on exhibit for those within hailing distance of Manhattan and the Metropolitan Museum of Art. I love mosaic art, modern and ancient. The image above is one small part of a larger collection found in Lod, Israel in 1996. It was created in 300 A.D.
Chrome Web Lab: Orchestra Recording
- Just a little bit more Bitcoin troubleOriginally published on June 17, 2014 There has been so much tumult in bitcoin and cryptocurrency over the past few days! Interest and concern extends beyond online communities. Motives vary.
- Growth of the early Internet, node by nodeNetwork diagrams are a popular way of visualizing social and corporate relationships. Network theory has been used to model telecommunications performance and especially, the Internet. Communications networks increase in value as the number of connections increases. […]
- Not so current developments in typographyI wrote this post about the Indian rupee some years ago but never published it. Given the feeling of time suspended brought on by COVID-19 shelter-in-place orders (and suspension of normal life in general), I […]
- SHODAN related infosec assortmentI never attended DEFCON, though it remains a dream I hope to realize one day, soon. It may soon become too logistically awkward due to increasing numbers of attendees. Shodan is a remarkable search engine. […]
- Monetize Your FollowersAs a statistician and mathematical modeling practitioner, I’m not a stranger to the concept of quantifying the value of intangibles. In the ethical framework in which I studied and worked, such quantification might be applied […]
- Activism for profitActivist hedge funds have been playing an increasingly central role in corporate governance. Stock markets do not capture the long term costs of short-term pillaging. As a result, these activist investors can pursue transactions that […]
- Cutting corners on telecom infrastructure with HuaweiIn January 2013, I wrote a blog post about Huawei’s twisty, winding path to prominence. There were plenty of oddities, e.g. Huawei was supplier to the Taliban and nearly acquired by GOP presidential Mitt Romney… […]
- Google graphs and graphs for code searchA graphing calculator In 2012, Google discontinued its highly-regarded code search. It was freely available for open source projects residing on Google Code project hosting. This is the only description of the pre-2012 Google Code Search I […]
- My father In memoriumVeteran’s Day For my father, Captain Russell H. Kesselman, U.S. Air Force, 1927 – 2009. The loss and sorrow does not diminish. I think of my father every single day. I miss him so much. I wish […]
- The problem with randomnessHow to generate random numbers from spam I found SecurityDump’s WPRandom the other day: Generating random numbers is pretty complicated if you need them for cryptographic algorithms. This software generates them based on spam comments…
- The EPA is not the Federal Reserve of oil marketsEnergy market pricing behavior seems contrary to the relationship between supply and demand. The oddly behaving RIN market is an intermediate factor that influences gasoline prices for automobiles. RIN (Renewable Identification Numbers) should be decreasing. […]
- Economic Models for Turbulent Times Part 2Originally posted on November 20, 2011 at 4:28 AM A new research study has already received unusual attention. The Network of Global Corporate Control [PDF] discovers a relatively small group of multinational companies with disproportionate influence over the […]
- Economic Models for Turbulent Times Part IOriginally Published on December 5, 2010 AT 7:58 AM Crust is an algorithm for reconstructing surfaces of any topology. In other words, it is a computational method for digitally rendering any 2-D shape, using data in […]
- Things fall apartRead Quote of Ellie Kesselman’s answer to Neo-Jeffersonianism: Is Occupy the right structural model for neo-Jeffersonianism at the “movement” level? on Quora Turning and turning in the widening gyre The falcon cannot hear the falconer; […]
- Recovery is the same all overThe Youth for Christ Center in Myanmar provides food, shelter, safety, rest, Bible study and singing, free of charge, for 40 days to a maximum of three months. Via Reuters, Photos of the Week: Faith healing for […]
- Linking your Google account and YouTube accountI deleted my Google Account- what happened to my YouTube Account? – YouTube Help: Usually, when you delete a Google Account, all related Google Services are deleted at the same time. There was a long-standing […]
- YouTube Video Scavenger HuntYouTube – Broadcast Yourself included a hyper-linked line of text at the bottom of my search results today. It read something along the lines of “Discover video treasures on YouTube”. What could be described in such glowing […]
- Google Public DNSGoogle Public DNS is a free, global Domain Name System (DNS) resolution service. You can use it as an alternative to your current DNS provider. How can I take it out for a test run? To […]
- The Anti-Matter of Network SecurityIs virtual routing the “anti-matter” of network security? This post from the Rational Security blog* presented a convincing case as to why that might be so. It was dated December 2008. I don’t know if virtual routing […]
”Activist hedge funds have been playing an increasingly central role in corporate governance. ”
Stock markets do not capture the long term costs of short-term pillaging. As a result, these activist investors can pursue transactions that increase prices at the expense of long-term performance, such as cutting project investments or reserve funds.
If you would like to be notified when this site is updated just click the button.